December 21, 2010

Zappadan 18 The Final Day

So here we are at the end of our commemoration. Since Zappadan is celebrated in reverse, moving from death to birth I'll do this final post in the same order. So, to begin at the end here is a brief, heartbreaking excerpt of the final television interview that Frank did.



From the YouTube comment:
Frank Zappa's last television interview. He is talking about his friend Nicolas Slonimsky, 1993.

Sorry about the poor quality. Some of you have commented that you find it difficult to hear what is being said. Here's what Frank says:

"He's just a brilliant mind. And a very warm-hearted spirit. And these are qualities not often found linked together in human beings. And... I just liked him. One of the things I really liked about him was his wardrobe. I always was impressed with his wardrobe from the first time he came over, because he had that look. He had the look of a real guy from that era, you know what I mean? The right kind of shoes, the right kind of tweed, rumple, worn for a thousand years. Kinda... sport coat, pants too short. He was wonderful. He was a fully developed character."

Nicolas Slonimsky (1894-1995) was a musicologist, conductor, composer, author and much more. Check out his lectures on archive.org or simply do a google search. Zappa was right when he said that Slonimsky was a wonderful person.

And here, from Genova, June 9, 1988, is the last song from Frank's last show.



And here is the song that made me a Zappa fan. It couldn't be more appropriate because it reminds us to live as if we will die tomorrow because It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal.



Thanks Brady, microdot, and everyone who has visited. Happy holiday of your choice. May the coming year bring you love and power.

2 comments:

microdot said...

Thank you for this post.
I have read about Slonimsky and his relationship with Zappa.
And yes, I agree, that is how I try to live....I know that this is just a one shot deal...we only get to do it over in our stupid dreams.
Though, I really would like to believe in reincarnation, because I really think I could have done the entire rebellious obnoxious teen thing so much better...
I mean, how long is fuckin puberty supposed to take anyway?????

microdot said...

hey iris, I come by here looking for a new post!
Are you okay? I sure hope so....
all the best dreams could come true if we only dare to dream them,
Microdot.